2018 came and went so quickly, and before we knew it, it’s 2019! I know that we’ve been so very quiet this year, and the fact is we just had to dig down and power through everything that we needed to do to get Forged of Blood where we’d like to be. We just had to take it one bug, one feature, one quest, one day at a time.
A lot of the work we’ve been doing over the last year has been on the back end of the production – hooking up features, testing, refactoring, optimizing, writing and rewriting – and for the most part there just isn’t a lot to share as part of these blog posts. With so many things to do, it was admittedly easier to just get into the rhythm and keep going.
Our biggest focus at the moment is in getting all the disparate features on the strategic layer working cohesively into the game we wanted to craft. In the first few days of the new year, we sat down and took inventory of everything we had finished, everything we have yet to do, and how all of it came together into the game that is Forged of Blood. We decided to make changes to the strategic layer that created a more seamless and intuitive gameplay experience, that we really liked. With the path ahead planned, we immediately set into motion a very rigid schedule of implementation, testing, and iteration to get all the features across that finish line, and so far we are progressing rather nicely.
Among the many critical tasks that still lay before us, is the question of optimization. As we continue to refine our tactical maps we’re always looking to squeeze out an extra FPS or two wherever we can, even if it means shaving off 0.01 by cleaning up a decal or reducing the number of polys on pot.